Saturday, February 6, 2010

Seattle Lay Over

The job in Fort Wayne was a great experience for me, working for someone else after 25 years of being the boss was an adjustment to say the least. Although I worked as a project manager I was able to observe and sometimes lend a hand to the various maintenance aspects the company performed. Riding with the crews, hearing their complaints against management made me wonder what was said by my crews. In my own business I was a big fish in a small pond but working for someone else I became a little fish in a big pond, quite an education. My contract was up in just before Christmas and I was anxious to hit the road as my winter plans included a trip to Seattle and Hawaii, both new destinations for me.

Seattle was a stop over to visit the nephew who had just married, he started a job at The Gates Foundation and I was anxious to see the sites. Although we had a wonderful time, spring or summer would surely be even more beautiful. The city itself screams with youth and vitality, even a bus ride becomes an adventure as the routes are filled with characters willing to chat it up. Of course we visited The Space Needle, Pikes Market, took a harbor tour, ate some awesome chowder and walked the downtown districts with ease. Getting out of town for one day we found snow on Mount Rainier which prohibited driving to the top but our views at Snoqualmie Falls were close up as the sweet, young waiter treated us with a seat on the small balcony off the private party room. Seattle and the surrounding area call out for further exploration, I am sure glad the nephew and his bride just bought a house there as I plan to visit again soon.