Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hawaiian Islands Are Brilliant



This time last year I was experiencing my first
ever visit to the Hawaiian Islands and I loved every minute. Flowers, waterfalls, surfers, pineapple plantations, sunshine, fish tacos, white, black and red sand beaches, luxurious hotels perched atop magnificent views, ukuleles, WHALES, grass skirts, mountains, big waves, and Maui powie. Did I mention waterfalls and flowers? Everywhere you look on these islands green abounds, so many shades and textures you feel compelled to pet the foliage.

The drive to Hana rivals The Garden Route in South Africa for shear, raw beauty with waterfalls beside, over and under the twisting, switchback road. It is easy to understand why people return again and again to the Hawaiian Islands , three cheers to our government for this purchase, certainly they are the most brilliant and diverse state we offer. Deciding how to spend your time
and money in this paradise is difficult so much to do and see.

My trip started on the big island. My father served in the South Pacific during World War II , he shipped out of Pearl Harbor and had buddies there. I felt wanted to visit more as a tribute to my dad who has been dead over thirty years. My oldest brother who is also deceased was stationed there for nearly two years in the early sixties, great place to be a Marine. I did not take any pictures at Pearl Harbor, it was to moving I did not want any reminders. I could feel the power and the horror of the place in my bones. Nor did I go out to the ship filled with corpses, it seemed to gruesome. It is a somber place, hard to imagine the bombing as you stand in the bright sunshine. I think I needed to go there, like many baby boomers WWII was a part of my life growing up. There are many Asian tourist as well, it was difficult for me, many nights my dad would wake us with his screaming dreams, "kill the Japs." Weird stuff the only time in my life I think I actually felt some prejudice for people I did not even know.

Waikiki beach was smaller, with bigger crowds than I anticipated of all the beaches I visited it would be my least favorite. A drive to the North Shore, some juicy prawns, gardens at the pineapple plantation and the salty ocean washed the feelings of Pearl Harbor away and the islands were starting to settle around me.

Hawaii exceeded my expectations and I look forward to returning. It would be a wonderful spot to go with a companion and check off each of the recommended tourist things; sunrise at the volcano, surfing, hiking, biking, scuba, the list goes on and on. I took hundreds of photos and there are thousands more waiting. After I exhausted the "to do" list I would spend a week just watching and listening on the many fabulous beaches.

Yellow Hibiscus with Pink Eye is the state flowerCheck out the bark on this tree, fantasticPalms are natures artThe road to Hana features waterfalls at nearly every turnCrashing wave are easy to find on MauiI had just read, The Secret, a book which basically says you can get what you want through positive thinking, this shoebox of Maui Powee appeared at the rest stop on the road to HanaGoing on a whale watching boat was money well spent, our captain described whale watching in Maui during the winter as "whale soup", Fluke a novel by Christopher Moore is a lively twist on whale loreWOW, how I wish I could grow this flower, what a beautyThese are fresh cut flowers in the Sunday market for saleTravelor Palm what an inspiration for herringbone patternEvery sunset on every island I have visited is special

No comments: