Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Family Yacht









I go to Florida often, mostly to visit my sister and her husband, we usually have Christmas there. Having visited so often I know what I like, where to get good food, best sunset beaches, frothy cocktails, hot shopping, sweet breakfast joints and a variety of bars through out the state. I have at one time or another been to most all of Florida's' tourist attractions both well known and remote. Been there done that is sometimes a problem so this trip a family yacht was purchased in Indiana and trailed down to the sunshine state . Boating is Florida is limitless, take your pick from sea water to hot springs you can zig zag the state gliding through mother nature or tearing up the coast.

One winter I worked as a deck hand on a gambling ship on Fort Meyers Beach, The Europa Star, I lived mid island and had a 12' john boat that I piloted to the ship. I earned the nickname, Snake from my poor performance at steering the ship at sea. Needless to say I did not take the wheel often. One of my favorite runs with a power boat is the back bay of Fort Meyers Beach, you often see dolphins, birds and a variety of boats plus the fabulous houses that stuff the shoreline. There is a new reward with the Doc Ford Restaurant that has opened on the north end, it is great to pull up to the pilings, hop out get a cocktail and wings, maybe even the newest Doc Ford novel.

Of course having a boat in Florida meant a trip to the Keys where you can experience the clear blue water, Seven Mile Bridge, Mallory Square and snorkel the last remaining reefs. A boat allows you to drive right into the furthest sunset point in the states, looking at Florida from the water is the complete experience for me

No comments: