Friday, April 9, 2010

Where Dirt Comes From or Cruising US 12


Good news, we will be able to follow the transformation of the Devils Lake house as they signed a contract today. I have already been to the site three times and today I stopped at a couple of spots along the way while making the hour drive home. The first thing that caught my eye again was this vintage Bug sitting at a gravel pit/4wheeler track. The 1969 ground up restoration of this California car was sweet from a distance but I would have expected a cherry paint job for the $7900 price tag, but it still made my heart sing. I had the same rims and nerf bars on my 1961 Bug, my first car.


The next stop was a old fashioned drive in restaurant with car hops, curb service and window trays. Normally I do not eat much red meat but on occasion a good coney dog paired with a root beer float is my indulgence. The dog at this stand outside Jonesville did not disappoint, especially tasty was the way the onions were finely minced on top of the chili sauce, yum, yum. The little white building with the lavender trim is definitely a non franchised operation.


It is hard not to notice the mountains of mulch that are piled up at the Sun Gro plant on the east side of Quincy, MI. This is where they make dirt, more properly soil for the green industry. Everything from heavier potting soil to the ultra lite and elite soils used by growers. Semi trailers line up as tow truck operators dart in and out, heavy with pallets of various types of bagged soil. Dust is in the air, loaders are moving piles of sand and decomposing wood shavings steam in the buckets as they go about the business of composting.







Virgin Mary Line Up


The first time I spied the cement figures I knew I would stop when time allowed. I pulled over and immediately started shooting pictures, what great subjects and so still.

The mermaid was a one of a kind but if the rows of religious imagery are any barometer I would say anything featuring Jesus or Mary was a best seller. There were the usual Buddas , assorted animals including a near life size pony, trumpeting elephants, frogs, turtles and birds.








The best part of this roadside diversion at Handy Landscape Supply was the two well kept little greenhouses where grower Linda tended a variety of houseplants with mixed textures, color and form. This cactus was loaded with delightful pink blooms. She had some swell succulents and a couple of unusual house plants, I especially liked the rabbits foot fern (white furry stems) and the string beads. The stellar, blue, grape like clusters of the wisteria filled the air with a smell as sweet as perfume.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tina, the landscape work I see here is really beautiful and makes me look at my own sad plot critically ... I am also tremendously impressed with your photographs which show an artist's eye and your words which show a poet's heart. And my first car was the same model and vintage but cream in color. REALLY nice blog! :o)