Sunday, April 18, 2010

Deadbuds & The Grower

Visiting nurseries, talking to growers and plant selection is one of the more enjoyable duties I perform. Jim and I have known each other for many years he recently changed jobs and this was my first visit to his new location. The company he works for is The Plant Center in Fort Wayne, IN and just last year I started using The Plant Center as one of my greengoods vendors. He ordered in some material for me I was there to inspect it, we got to chatting about ornamental trees and found we shared the same views on redbuds and dogwoods.

He showed me a recent acquisition a single stem Kousa dogwood generally you see them only as multi-stemmed, this piqued my interest as I am always looking for different small trees narrow lake lots. The Kousa is both mine and Jim's choice for a hardy dogwood in Steuben county. The tree he is standing next to is a Trinity Pear which he is very keen on for its strong branching and round habit, 30' spread.

The colorful rows of shrubs are sure harbingers of spring. Designed and displayed to catch your eye and make you buy.













No comments: