Monday, February 13, 2012

Above and Beyond, We Are Improving









The saplings in this photo are the lot of forty we purchased and potted up. Back in Indiana I would have had plenty of nursery buckets for the transplanting but in St. Lucia large nursery buckets are at a premium. We purchased the ten plastic ones, I managed to get 50, 3 gallon pots and we cut laundry barrels in half to complete the task.

One last task in the Botanical Garden was the completion of the steps. We recycled some concrete steppers and buttered them onto the existing stone steps. Bartholomew installed and Shawn tended the concrete. We put four stone steps in to reduce the ramp effect but my instructions lost something in the translation as the men nearly buried the stones with the road base. I dug the steps but I think we should have used bigger rocks.

The location for the new "sun" greenhouse is being excavated and perhaps installed by now. The length of the 16 x 40' house will face east. It is being professionally installed, I am back in the states (FL currently) and sure wish I could have overseen some of the greenhouse construction. It will be a stellar addition to the gardens of Ladera.

As part of the new construction at Paradise Ridge they pumped concrete from a truck for the foundation of Unit 3 and some other flat work. I have never seen such a long pipe for pumping.

The men often "chain" materials up the hill, mostly rocks or buckets of cement. The work is very labor intensive as stones are individually chipped by skilled masons.

No comments: