Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Orlando Magic at Dasheene

Eating is a pleasure not to be taken lightly, food is serious business and those who eat well, drink well and enjoy fine dining appreciate the nuances of herbs, seasonings, preparation and presentation. I had no idea what a treat I was in for once Dasheene, the famed restaurant at Ladera reopened on December 15. Up until that time our meals were certainly adequate omelets in the morning with fresh fruit and bread, well prepared fish and vegetables for lunch and dinner, always a lovely olive oil herb dipping sauce for our warm rolls.

Five star dining is definitely not the norm at my house especially in season when cereal and eggs are king and queen. But one of the pleasures of travel has always been great meals in a wonderful setting and I have been fortunate to have had many wonderful culinary experiences. My pallet is not overly sophisticated and I am not up to the "foodie" status but I can and do appreciate good chow.

My mouth begins to water now as I think of all the fabulous dishes I enjoyed at Dasheene and a few romantic meals delivered and set up by room service. Trying to name my favorite dish at the restaurant is like trying to pick a favorite flower, nearly impossible. I got to say that I probably loved the fish the best, all the fish. I must have eaten nearly every type fish that swims the Lucian waters; grouper, swordfish, mahi mahi, talapia, barracuda, tuna, shark, snapper and kingfish to name a few. Most of the time I ordered my fish grilled or pan fried, chef's choice and I was never once disappointed. One of my favorites was sugar can snapper and warm tuna salad at lunch. Of course the shell fish was groovy as well especially lobster, lobster, lobster.

Soups at Dasheene are amazing as Orlando says it our interview he learned to cook soups because his wife craved them while pregnant, bless her cravings. The flavors, creamy texture and beautiful color of Orlando's signature soups are amazing

Of course dessert was something I tried to budget room for at the end of dinner. The chocolate lava cake and cocoa mousse are to die for, there were a couple of times I just ate dessert. Sunday buffets, managers cocktail parties and holidays (Christmas and New Years) are days for the chef's and servers to really pull out all the stops. Yum, yum

Dasheene has it all, the food, the beverages, the staff, the presentation and of course all of this over looking the Pitons. Bon appetite.

No comments: