Sunday, December 26, 2010

I Am Improving




Many times while driving south on the main road toward Vieux Fort I noticed The Bamboo Bar, last week while we were going on plant patrol I asked the driver, Peanut aka The Maniac to watch for the sign and words in the photo. He did not know the place I spoke of as I did not refer to it by the proper name, I only recalled the improving and manure parts. Anyway turns out the story behind the words is a family dispute.


The Bamboo Bar was originally a shop owned by the mother of a Ladera employee. With her passing there began an argument between the brothers and sisters regarding who would inherit the shop. Writing their feeling on the wall in front of the bar is how the victor spoke their peace. I always thought it would be a cool spot to visit.







Passing through the doorway the bottle cap curtain grabbed my attention. A young woman greeted me and eagerly showed me the batik prints that hung on the walls. A couple of locals sat at the bar. The simple shelves held meager stock ; a few Piton beers a bottle of Bounty rum and a jug of homemade spiced rum. Crates of vegetables were stacked on the floor near a small child's table and chair. Lots of local color that's for sure.




















Varnishing, waxing and oiling are all part of the natural upkeep at Ladera. Mahogany and cedar are prominently featured from the roof to the poles and wood walls. All of the hand crafted furniture is made on site at the workshop. That is why you frequently see someone stroking and caressing the wood with various liquids to bring out the glow and grain of this marvelous feature.




















This stunning tropical flower arrangement was part of a welcoming for Bruce, my husband. He arrived last Monday and the flowers still look great a week later. I have been reading about propagation of various tropical plants, the boss wants to put a greenhouse back up and I might help.

No comments: